American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The state or quality of being holy; sanctity.
- n. Roman Catholic Church Used with His or Your as a title and form of address for a pope.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being holy or sinless; purity of moral character; perfect freedom from all evil; sanctity.
- n. The state of anything hallowed, or consecrated to God or to his worship; sacredness.
- n. Synonyms 1. Saintliness, Godliness, etc. See religion.
- n. The state or condition of being holy.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state or quality of being holy; perfect moral integrity or purity; freedom from sin; sanctity; innocence.
- n. The state of being hallowed, or consecrated to God or to his worship; sacredness.
- n. the quality of being holy
“Or as holiness, so far as it is embodied in law, must be the highest moral perfection, we may say, "_holiness is the purity of God manifesting itself in atonement and redemption, and correspondingly in judgment_.”
“This is true of matter, but yet more true of that life, superior to all others, which we call holiness; it was in prayer that Francis found the spiritual strength which he needed; he therefore sought for silence and solitude.”
“Probably no one will deny that in Christian countries this higher-toned goodness, which we call holiness, has existed.”
“We therefore conclude him to be perfect in the exercise of all these moral attributes, and to take the most rigid estimate of any infringement of them by man: -- this is what we call the holiness of God.”
“He knew something of the beauty of the Lord, the infinite and transcendent amiableness of the divine being and perfections; his holiness is his beauty (Ps.cx. 3), his goodness is his beauty, Zech. ix.”
“Fascism, now and always, believes in holiness and in heroism; that is to say, in actions influenced by no economic motive, direct or indirect.”
“With a unique blend of humor, passion, and frankness that has become his trademark style, Fr. Larry Richards explores how a Christ-centered male spirituality fosters growth in holiness, and inspires men to become loving servants of their wives, families, and the Church.”
“But there is simultaneously an ascending movement of holiness from the Christian community to the All-Holy”
“Again, there is considerable agreement that both of these passages are portions of what is commonly called the holiness code, a set of rules and regulations spanning chapters 17-26 that are intended to set Israel apart from the Egyptians they fled and the Canaanites they were now living among.”
“And you know, the word holiness means you're whole - all the parts of who you are - emotionally, spiritually, psychologically, physically - are all in balance and all fulfilled.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘holiness’.
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
all words that have sth to do with Christian Music of all times...
Looking for tweets for holiness.