Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The quality of being awful, or of striking or inspiring with awe, fear, or horror; impressive solemnity or sublimity; dreadfulness; terribleness: as, the awfulness of the sacred place, or of a casualty.
- n. The state of being full of or inspired with awe; reverence; awe.
- n. The quality of striking with awe, or with reverence; dreadfulness; solemnity; as, the awfulness of this sacred place.
- n. The state of being struck with awe; a spirit of solemnity; profound reverence.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality of striking with awe, or with reverence; dreadfulness; solemnity.
- n. obsolete The state of being struck with awe; a spirit of solemnity; profound reverence.
- n. a quality of extreme unpleasantness
- awful + -ness (Wiktionary)
“It was so awful, the only thing I can liken it to, in terms of shear awfulness, is severe food poisoning.”
“The only ones that approach it in awfulness are Eric Saward's novelisation of The Twin Dilemma and Topping's Telos novella Ghost Ship.”
“This awfulness is par for the course for Spike TV.”
“Its acme of awfulness is a reconstruction of the watershed Brown-Blair summit at Prescott's Admiralty Arch flat in 2004.”
“And, whatever you think of the man, you have to at least acknowledge that longterm awfulness like that has to take a fair bit of dedication.”
“Now its awfulness is both technically and aesthetically apparent.: p)”
“It’s hard to squeeze in awfulness of character in a 500 words without murdering puppies or robbing babies of lollipops.”
“Sometimes, the awfulness is the result of being a victim of crime.”
“But underneath the awfulness is a real direction, and KIN seems poised to move a small step further than actual smartphones.”
“For those who would like to politely tell me to spend a few moments designing something that doesn't look quite so awful, the point of the awfulness is to be a galling sore in my side so that I one day do exactly that.”
‘awfulness’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for awfulness.