from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Time without beginning or end; infinite time.
- n. The state or quality of being eternal.
- n. The timeless state following death.
- n. The afterlife; immortality.
- n. A very long or seemingly endless time: waited in the dentist's office for an eternity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Existence without end, infinite time.
- n. Existence outside of time.
- n. A period of time which extends infinitely far into the future.
- n. The remainder of time that elapses after death.
- n. A comparatively long time.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Infinite duration, without beginning in the past or end in the future; also, duration without end in the future; endless time.
- n. Condition which begins at death; immortality.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The condition or quality of being eternal.
- n. The state of things in which the flow of time has ceased.
- n. Existence outside of the relations of time.
- n. The state or condition of existence preceding life, or subsequent to death.
- n. Indefinite duration of time or vast extent of space; anything that seems endless; endless round: as, an eternity of suspense; the great desert with its eternity of sand.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. time without end
- n. a seemingly endless time interval (waiting)
- n. a state of eternal existence believed in some religions to characterize the afterlife
We have been blinded by our own cleverness, blinded by false perceptions of those qualities that we term eternity and infinity.
With what sublime abandon does such a man let go his soul into the mystery of that silence which we call eternity!
We are all going post to what they call eternity, and may as well be above board while there's time.
I think some do not understand the gravity of the word "eternity".....they can't wrap their mind around that.
Mass is the only point of union between the means and the Goal because it enables us to contemplate, under the humble appearance of the bread and the wine, the Body and Blood of Him Whom we adore in eternity .
Congress needs to take all the time in eternity to come up with meaningful health insurance reform.
But if eternity is the ultimate reward, what is the payoff of doing acts of social justice without guarantee of success?
For Augustine, eternity is a realm without space or time.
The team found that it generally took teams at least eight years to get back to a 90-win level in other words, an eternity.
And you will have the hope of being with your child in eternity, as Christ Himself will provide the link between the two of you.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.