from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being permanent; permanency.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being permanent.
- n. The reciprocal of magnetic inductance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being permanent; continuance in the same state or place; duration; fixedness
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The character or property of being permanent or enduring; durability; fixedness; continuance in the same state, condition, place, or office; the state of being lasting, fixed, unchanging or unchangeable in character, condition, position, office, or the like; freedom from liability to change; as, the permanence of a government or state; the permanence of liberal institutions.
- n. Synonyms See lasting.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the property of being able to exist for an indefinite duration
From Medieval Latin permanentia, from Latin permaneo ("I remain; last"). (Wiktionary)