American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The condition or property of being solid.
- n. Soundness of mind, moral character, or finances.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or property of being solid. Specifically— The property of resisting a force tending to change the figure of a body: opposed to fluidity.
- n. The absolute impenetrability attributed by some metaphysicians to matter.
- n. Fullness of matter: opposed to hollowness.
- n. Massiveness; substantiality; hence, strength; stability.
- n. Strength and firmness in general; soundness; strength; validity; truth; certainty.
- n. In geometry, the quantity of space occupied by a solid body. Also called its solid or cubic content or contents. The solidity of a body is estimated by the number of cubic inches, feet, yards, etc., which it contains.
- n. A solid body or mass.
- n. The state or quality of being solid.
- n. Moral firmness; validity; truth; certainty.
- n. geometry The solid contents of a body; volume; amount of inclosed space.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state or quality of being solid; density; consistency, -- opposed to
fluidity; compactness; fullness of matter, -- opposed to opennessor hollowness; strength; soundness, -- opposed to weaknessor instability; the primary quality or affection of matter by which its particles exclude or resist all others; hardness; massiveness.
- n. Moral firmness; soundness; strength; validity; truth; certainty; -- as opposed to
- n. (Geom.) The solid contents of a body; volume; amount of inclosed space.
- n. the consistency of a solid
- n. the quality of being solid and reliable financially or factually or morally
- n. state of having the interior filled with matter
- From Latin soliditās (Wiktionary)
“Only I have thought the term solidity the more proper to express this idea, not only because of its vulgar use in that sense, but also because it carries something more of positive in it than impenetrability; which is negative, and is perhaps more a consequence of solidity, than solidity itself.”
“The result of not being able to appreciate this, is that the finiteness of our sense, caused by its dependence on Motion for excitation, surrounds us with illusions; one of these illusions is what we call solidity or continuity of sensation.”
“But one reason for that solidity is that the General has something of a weight problem.”
“But you also get the sense that this solidity is like a sheen of oil floating on water; an acre wide and an atom deep, and beneath that surface there is nothing he really cares about more than himself.”
“And since the arrival of Robbie's letter there had come a certain solidity and reality to that visionary bond.”
“Lady Clara Augusta Mandeville, then, was a widow of some three or four-and-thirty, an age fatal to all mere prettiness, but an age at which all women of sterling beauty are in the full-blown radiance of their charms; their mind, too, if it possess any solidity, is then in full maturity; there is a glow of summer richness, which yet does not touch on autumn.”
“When the idea of solidity is excited a part of the extensive organ of touch is compressed by some external body, and this part of the sensorium so compressed exactly resembles in figure the figure of the body that compressed it.”
“The impressions, which enter by the sight and hearing, the smell and taste, are affirmed by modern philosophy to be without any resembling objects; and consequently the idea of solidity, which is supposed to be real, can never be derived from any of these senses.”
“The impressions, which enter by the sight and hearing, the smell and taste, are affirm'd by modern philosophy to be without any resembling objects; and consequently the idea of solidity, which is suppos'd to be real, can never be deriv'd from any of these senses.”
“Hackett was selling long-term solidity, not short-term thrill.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘solidity’.
More randomly-garnered terms from the world of words that don't quite yet fit into my other lists.
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Looking for tweets for solidity.