American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The quality or state of being particular rather than general.
- n. Exactitude of detail, especially in description: a travel account written with almost excruciating particularity.
- n. Attention to or concern with detail; fastidiousness: a scholar known for her particularity.
- n. A specific point or detail; a particular.
- n. An individual characteristic; a peculiarity.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being particular. Minuteness of detail.
- n. Singleness; individuality.
- n. Minute attention to detail; fussiness.
- n. The essential character or quantity of a particular proposition.
- n. That which is particular. A detail; a minute circumstance; a particular.
- n. Individual or private matter, affair, concern, or interest.
- n. Peculiarity; singularity; singular or peculiar feature or characteristic.
- n. Synonyms Exactness, preciseness.
- n. uncountable The condition of being particular; attention to detail; fastidiousness
- n. countable A particular thing; a peculiarity
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state or quality of being particular; distinctiveness; circumstantiality; minuteness in detail.
- n. That which is particular.
- n. Peculiar quality; individual characteristic; peculiarity.
- n. Special circumstance; minute detail; particular.
- n. Something of special or private concern or interest.
- n. the quality of being particular and pertaining to a specific case or instance
“For if we look at that ground more closely, we find there evidence of a fractured and contested public sphere or spheres wherein particularity and difference fissure the very effort to define or construct a public sphere.”
“It is only in Kant's Critique of Judgment that we find a conception of judgment as the ability to deal with particulars in their particularity, that is, without subsuming them under a pre-given universal, but actively searching the universal out of the particular.”
“Since the Fourth Amendment demands warrants specify with "particularity" the objects of the search, such review of broad surveillance "programs" would have no relationship to the conventional warrant process.”
“Moreover, the FISA Court could not possibly review the surveillance for, e.g., the "particularity" that the Fourth Amendment requires, because the FISA Court would be tasked not with determining whether any particular interception is constutitional, but somehow with making "wholesale" determinations that the program writ large is "consistent with" the Constitution.”
“More poking and prodding at POWERS this morning, reframing sections already written from first-person POV to third, and adding more "particularity" to the scenes as I go along.”
“_ It does not apply to the third count, certainly there is a particularity which is quite unnecessary in the others; it states that by certain devices and contrivances they endeavoured to raise the price of the funds, to the prejudice of His Majesty's subjects, to an undue elevation, and so on, there is enough to let in the general evidence.”
The Trial of Charles Random de Berenger, Sir Thomas Cochrane, commonly called Lord Cochrane, the Hon. Andrew Cochrane Johnstone, Richard Gathorne Butt, Ralph Sandom, Alexander M'Rae, John Peter Holloway, and Henry Lyte for A Conspiracy In the Court of King's Bench, Guildhall, on Wednesday the 8th, and Thursday the 9th of June, 1814
“The lowest depth is reached when the reminiscences of an Emperor's valet, to whom he is still a kind of hero, are served up with that succulent dressing of vivid particularity which is swallowed with relish because it brings down a great man to the level of the most trivial experience.”
“But that’s true on both sides of this equation, so it is unfair of feminists whose fight is at least partly for women to be seen and treated as people to deny the “personhood”, that is, the particularity of the experience, of others, whether men or transgendered women.”
“Then they're specific enough about who, what, why, and when to nail "particularity":”
“The decision also explains the difference between "particularity" and "overbreadth" in a search warrant challenge - and finds that several categories of the warrant were in fact overbroad.”
Looking for tweets for particularity.