American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A mark indicating quality or excellence.
- n. A mark used in England to stamp gold and silver articles that meet established standards of purity.
- n. A conspicuous feature or characteristic: "The sense of guilt is the hallmark of civilized humanity” ( Theodor Reik).
- v. To stamp (gold and silver articles) with a mark indicating purity.
- After Goldsmith's Hall in London, England, where gold and silver articles were appraised and stamped. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A proper indicator of this hallmark is the presence of messages that attempt to establish an association between the targeted group and the exploitation and victimization of a societal group.”
“In a government whose hallmark is supposed to be the separation of powers, federal prosecutors are a glaring and dangerous exception.”
“The wrap rollout comes on the heels of a giveaway on national Doughnut Day on Friday — a free doughnut with beverage purchase — that highlighted a Dunkin 'hallmark neither McDonald's nor Starbucks could match (Krispy Kreme, however, also gave away doughnuts for the day).”
“Our Center's hallmark is its coordinated, multidisciplinary approach.”
“Ms. Resnick's hallmark is her marketing prowess, which she used to turn a little-eaten fruit into a product known to millions.”
“Although the majority of cases are ones in which children are exploited, this hallmark is not limited to victimization of children.”
“Its hallmark is the phenomenon of spontaneous coordination.”
“The syndrome's hallmark is agonizing, burning pain.”
“In fact, Alzheimer's sort of hallmark is short-term memory loss.”
“Franklin's hallmark is a veneer of Southern graciousness.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hallmark’.
new words or spelling issues
Input limited to 30 seconds, so we needed to find cost-effective ways to become a part of your life. Uninvited houseguest technology: the link technique, thoughts as real estate. The full potential...
An extensive list I have been working on for quite some time. Feel free to add more of the kind if you miss any.
My big word list.
dedicated to my man Steven, without whom i would be addicted to drugs, lying in a gutter, hating myself, or hooking somewhere :)
For more flower fun, see these lists:
Rose words by mollusque
Rose varieties by mollusque
Tulip Names I
Tulip Names II: You Know My Name
A Myriad of Irii
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Looking for tweets for hallmark.