from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The tonic of a musical key.
- n. A prime underlying element or theme: "The keynote of the revolution settlement was personal freedom under the law” ( G.M. Trevelyan).
- transitive v. To give or set the keynote of.
- transitive v. Informal To give a keynote address at: keynoted the press luncheon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The note on which a musical key is based.
- n. The main theme of a speech, a written work, or a conference.
- n. A speech that sets the main theme of a conference or other gathering; a keynote speech or keynote address.
- v. To deliver a speech that sets the main theme of a conference or other gathering.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The tonic or first tone of the scale in which a piece or passage is written; the fundamental tone of the chord, to which all the modulations of the piece are referred; -- called also key tone.
- n. The fundamental fact or idea; that which gives the key.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In music, the tone on which a key (tonality) is founded; a tonic. See key, 7 .
- n. A central principle or idea; the pivotal point in a system, a composition, or a course of action; a controlling thought.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. give the keynote address to (an audience)
- n. (music) the first note of a diatonic scale
- n. a fundamental or central idea
- v. set the keynote of
- n. the principal theme in a speech or literary work
Ok, the hype has passed, the keynote is done, Steve has spoken (enthusiastically) and we are suitably wowed (especially by the low entry level price point).
Dick Hardt's style during his OSCON 2005 keynote is also very engaging.
But the salient feature of blogging, which Seth points out above re: the Pajamas Media keynote, is that the first small step one takes on the path to blogging is sucking up to the blog media.
The keynote is the same profound simplicity as she sees in her father.
In fulfilling this role the keynote is thorough training and organization for local defence.
We have a long way to go but the keynote is co-operation and service.
It's keynote is simple, and borrowed from the early days of Bolshevist Russia: "The Whole World Is Against Us."
Its keynote is decentralization and peaceful development, moral and material.
Apple Announces iOS 4.1 - Apple is calling it a "keynote" - for no known reason-but is expected to debut new iPods and maybe a new Apple TV at a special event starting at 10 AM PST.
Keynote speakers are Henry Jenkins and Jim Gee and the closing keynote is the Honorable Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.