from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Music The sixth tone of a diatonic scale. Also called superdominant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The sixth note of a scale, shown as VI.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The sixth tone of the scale; the under mediant, or third below the keynote; the superdominant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In music, the tone of a scale midway between the subdominant and the upper tonic; the sixth, as B in the scale of D. Also called superdominant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (music) the sixth note of a major or minor scale (or the third below the tonic)
Sorry, no etymologies found.