from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A quality that can be perceived by the olfactory sense: the aroma of garlic and onions. See Synonyms at smell.
- n. A pleasant characteristic odor, as of a plant, spice, or food: the aroma of roses. See Synonyms at fragrance.
- n. A distinctive, intangible quality; an aura: the aroma of success.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A smell; especially a pleasant spicy or fragrant one.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or principle of plants or other substances which constitutes their fragrance; agreeable odor.
- n. Fig.: The fine diffusive quality of intellectual power; flavor.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Spice: usually in the plural, spices.
- n. An odor arising from spices, plants, or other substances, more especially an agreeable odor; fragrance; spicy perfume.
- n. Figuratively, a characteristic but subtle quality; a pervasive charm or flavor.
- n. Synonyms Perfume, Fragrance, etc. See smell, n.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any property detected by the olfactory system
- n. a distinctive odor that is pleasant
(he keeps going on about apples, but the aroma is all sour grape – weird)
The bad news is that all decaffeination methods remove considerable flavor and aroma from the coffee, which means that in order for the decaf to taste great, the beans chosen for decaffeination need to be stellar.
The delicious aroma from the grilled venison steaks was causing such a problem for the Catholic faithful that they finally talked to their priest.
The aroma is sort of cloudy, with nothing more than muddled hops and malt showing through.
The aroma is distinctive, but in the end, it's a lemon.
If we eat a food that's got a certain aroma, and it has no salt, our brain registers that and kind of gives us not much of a sensation.
And by "faint aroma" is Hart jokingly implying the opposite, a strong odor?
Their aroma is deliciously clean, like crisp sheets that have been dried on a clothesline.
While less intense in aroma than Black Truffles which are cultivated in the early winter, they still have a very strong odor and call for a very serious price.
A dark stout whose aroma is filled with vanilla, cocoa, and roasted coffee beans.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.