from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To emit a strong foul odor.
- intransitive v. To be highly offensive or abhorrent.
- intransitive v. To be in extremely bad repute.
- intransitive v. Slang To have something to an extreme or offensive degree: a family that stinks with money; a deed that stinks of treachery.
- intransitive v. Slang To be of an extremely low or bad quality: This job stinks.
- intransitive v. Slang To have the appearance of dishonesty or corruption: Something about his testimony stinks.
- transitive v. To cause to stink: garbage that stinks up the yard.
- n. A strong offensive odor; a stench. See Synonyms at stench.
- n. Slang A scandal or controversy: "the stink over sexual politics in the military” ( David Nyhan).
- idiom make Slang To make a great fuss.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To have a strong bad smell.
- v. To be greatly inferior; to perform badly.
- v. To give an impression of dishonesty or untruth.
- n. A strong bad smell.
- n. A complaint or objection.
- n. chemistry (as a subject taught in school)
- n. A failure or unfortunate event.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To emit a strong, offensive smell; to send out a disgusting odor.
- transitive v. To cause to stink; to affect by a stink.
- n. A strong, offensive smell; a disgusting odor; a stench.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To emit a strong offensive smell; send out a disgusting odor; hence, to be in bad odor; have a bad reputation; be regarded with disfavor.
- To annoy with an offensive smell; affect in any way by an offensive odor.
- n. A strong offensive smell; a disgusting odor; a stench.
- n. Hell, regarded as a region of sulphurous smells (or of infamy?).
- n. A disagreeable exposure.
- n. Synonyms Stench, etc. See smell.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. be extremely bad in quality or in one's performance
- v. smell badly and offensively
- n. a distinctive odor that is offensively unpleasant
Middle English stinken, from Old English stincan, to emit a smell.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old English stincan. (Wiktionary)