from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A greasy secretion with a powerful odor, produced in a glandular sac beneath the skin of the abdomen of the male musk deer and used in the manufacture of perfumes.
- n. A similar secretion produced by certain other animals, such as the otter or civet.
- n. A synthetic chemical resembling natural musk in odor or use.
- n. The odor of musk.
- n. An odor similar to musk.
- n. A musk deer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A greasy secretion with a powerful odour, produced in a glandular sac of the male musk deer and used in the manufacture of perfumes.
- n. A similar secretion produced by the otter and the civet.
- n. A synthetic organic compound used as a substitute for the above.
- n. The odour of musk.
- n. The musk deer.
- v. To perfume with musk.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A substance of a reddish brown color, and when fresh of the consistency of honey, obtained from a bag being behind the navel of the male musk deer. It has a slightly bitter taste, but is specially remarkable for its powerful and enduring odor. It is used in medicine as a stimulant antispasmodic. The term is also applied to secretions of various other animals, having a similar odor.
- n. The musk deer. See Musk deer (below).
- n. The perfume emitted by musk, or any perfume somewhat similar.
- n. The musk plant (Mimulus moschatus).
- n. A plant of the genus Erodium (Erodium moschatum); -- called also musky heron's-bill.
- n. A plant of the genus Muscari; grape hyacinth.
- transitive v. To perfume with musk.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To perfume with musk.
- n. An odoriferous substance secreted by the male musk-deer, Moschus moschiferus. See musk-deer.
- n. A kind of artificial musk made by the action of nitric acid upon oil of amber.
- n. 3. The smell of musk, or a smell resembling it; an aromatic smell; a perfume.
- n. Same as musk-plant, in both senses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the scent of a greasy glandular secretion from the male musk deer
- n. an odorous glandular secretion from the male musk deer; used as a perfume fixative
So she sealed the letter with virgin musk and incensed it with Nadd-scent and ambergris, after which she committed it to a certain of the merchants saying, Deliver it not to any save to Zayn al-Mawasif or to her handmaid
The fragrance of musk from the breasts of the fair, viii.
The fragrance of musk from the breasts of the fair
Now Mahbubah had written upon her cheek, in musk, the
Khalif, followed by cup-bearer lads like moons, belted with zones of gold, who spread a cloth of siglaton301 and set thereon flagons of chinaware and tall flasks of glass and cups of crystal and bottles and hanaps302 of all colours; and those flagons they filled with pure clear and old wine, whose scent was as the fragrance of virgin musk and it was even as saith the poet,
So she brought me a tankard of red gold, set with pearls and gems of price, full of water mingled with virgin musk and covered with a napkin of green silk, and I addressed myself to drink and was long about my drinking, for I stole glances at her the while, till I could prolong my stay no longer.
Even on sunny days, harsh winds can sweep across the tundra, closing the highway to all but herds of coastal plain musk ox.
When studying the natural odorants occurring in musk and civet, muscone and civetone, little known until then, Ruzicka obtained fundamentally new and surprising results during the years
It is sometimes known as the musk ox and occasionally as the musk bison.
For then he leaps up to catch the musk, which is the blessing of God upon his prayer.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.