from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A greasy secretion with a powerful odor, produced in a glandular sac beneath the skin of the abdomen of the male musk deer and used in the manufacture of perfumes.
- n. A similar secretion produced by certain other animals, such as the otter or civet.
- n. A synthetic chemical resembling natural musk in odor or use.
- n. The odor of musk.
- n. An odor similar to musk.
- n. A musk deer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A greasy secretion with a powerful odour, produced in a glandular sac of the male musk deer and used in the manufacture of perfumes.
- n. A similar secretion produced by the otter and the civet.
- n. A synthetic organic compound used as a substitute for the above.
- n. The odour of musk.
- n. The musk deer.
- v. To perfume with musk.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A substance of a reddish brown color, and when fresh of the consistency of honey, obtained from a bag being behind the navel of the male musk deer. It has a slightly bitter taste, but is specially remarkable for its powerful and enduring odor. It is used in medicine as a stimulant antispasmodic. The term is also applied to secretions of various other animals, having a similar odor.
- n. The musk deer. See Musk deer (below).
- n. The perfume emitted by musk, or any perfume somewhat similar.
- n. The musk plant (Mimulus moschatus).
- n. A plant of the genus Erodium (Erodium moschatum); -- called also musky heron's-bill.
- n. A plant of the genus Muscari; grape hyacinth.
- transitive v. To perfume with musk.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An odoriferous substance secreted by the male musk-deer, Moschus moschiferus. See musk-deer.
- n. A kind of artificial musk made by the action of nitric acid upon oil of amber.
- n. 3. The smell of musk, or a smell resembling it; an aromatic smell; a perfume.
- n. Same as musk-plant, in both senses.
- To perfume with musk.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the scent of a greasy glandular secretion from the male musk deer
- n. an odorous glandular secretion from the male musk deer; used as a perfume fixative
Middle English, from Old French musc, from Late Latin muscus, from Greek moskhos, from Persian mušk, probably from Sanskrit muṣkaḥ, testicle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin muscus, from Ancient Greek μόσχος, from Middle Persian *mušk; compare Persian مشک (mušk). Ultimately from Sanskrit मुष्क (muṣka, "testicle"), the shape of the gland being similar. (Wiktionary)