from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small bunch of flowers; a bouquet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small bunch of fragrant flowers or herbs, tied in a bundle, often presented as a gift on meeting, and originally intended to be put to the nose for the pleasant sensation, or to mask unpleasant odours.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bunch of odorous and showy flowers; a bouquet; a posy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bunch of flowers used to regale the sense of smell; a posy; a bouquet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an arrangement of flowers that is usually given as a present
Middle English : nose, nose; see nose + gai, joyous, ornament; see gay.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
nose + gay. (Wiktionary)