from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A usually invisible emanation or exhalation, as of vapor or gas.
- n. A byproduct or residue; waste.
- n. The odorous fumes given off by waste or decaying matter.
- n. An impalpable emanation; an aura.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A gaseous or vaporous emission, especially a foul-smelling one.
- n. A condition causing the shedding of hair.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Subtile or invisible emanation; exhalation perceived by the sense of smell; especially, noisome or noxious exhalation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A subtle or invisible exhalation; an emanation: especially applied to noxious or disagreeable exhalations: as, the effluvia from diseased bodies or putrefying animal or vegetable substances.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a foul-smelling outflow or vapor (especially a gaseous waste)
Latin, from effluere, to flow out; see effluent.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin effluvium ("an outlet"), from effluō ("flow out or away"), from ex ("out of, from") + fluō ("flow"). (Wiktionary)