American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An asphyxiating mixture of gases, primarily nitrogen and carbon dioxide, left in a mine after a fire or an explosion.
- n. mining Suffocating gases present in a coal mine after an explosion caused by firedamp, consisting of nitrogen, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and sometimes hydrogen sulfide.
- n. a toxic mixture of gases (including carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide and nitrogen) after an explosion of firedamp in a mine
- From after- + damp. (Wiktionary)
- after + damp, gas. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Filled with deadly afterdamp 'cause owners didn't care,”
“You know, it is a product of combustion, and is very deadly -- it is the much-dreaded white damp or afterdamp of a mine explosion.”
“An I minded my feyther an uncle -- how they was braat home both togither, when I wor nobbut thirteen years old -- not a scar on em, nobbut a little blood on my feyther's forehead -- but stone dead, both on em -- from the afterdamp.”
“But no other part of him was burnt, and it was clear that he had died of afterdamp in trying to escape.”
“I suppose the afterdamp had lifted a bit, for I could raise my head.”
“Two or three young fellows meanwhile, who had been least touched by the afterdamp, had "amused themselves," as they said, by riding up and down the neighbouring level on the "jummer" or coal-truck of one of them.”
“A heavy fall of roof had to be scrambled over, and beyond it afterdamp was clearly perceptible.”
“All of them, young or old, were dazed and bent from the effects of afterdamp, and scarcely one of them had strength to rise till they were helped to their feet.”
“But the flame in its caprice had passed him by, and he and another man had been able to struggle through the afterdamp back along the heading, just in time to stem the rush of men and boys from the workings at the farther end.”
“They also had been killed in escaping, dragged down by the inexorable afterdamp.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘afterdamp’.
place to place 'fire' words
Im savin it for later
cool beans dude
hit me man
Get a life dude
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Looking for tweets for afterdamp.