from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Gas generated in or expelled from the digestive tract, especially the stomach or intestines.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Gas generated in the digestive tract.
- n. Expulsion of such gas through the anus.
- n. Morbid inflation or swelling.
- n. Plural form of flatus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A breath; a puff of wind.
- n. Gas generated in the stomach, intestine, or other cavities of the body.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A breath; a puff of wind; a pure expulsion of air from the lungs through the throat and mouth.
- n. Wind present in the stomach or intestines; eructation.
- n. Inflation; puffiness; the state of being distended with air, as a tumor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a reflex that expels intestinal gas through the anus
Latin flātus, wind, fart, from flāre, to blow; see bhlē- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowed into English around 1660–1670; from Latin flātus ("blowing, wind"), from flāre ("to blow"). (Wiktionary)