from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A combustible gas, chiefly methane, occurring naturally in mines from the decomposition of coal.
- n. The explosive mixture of firedamp and air.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An inflammable gas (mostly methane) found in coal mines; forms an explosive mixture with air.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a damp consisting chiefly of light carbureted hydrogen; -- so called from its tendence to explode when mixed with atmospheric air and brought into contact with flame.
- n. See under Damp.
- n. a mixture of gases (mostly methane) that forms in coal mines and becomes explosive when mixed with air. It is a source of serious hazard in coal mining operations.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The gas contained in coal, often given off by it in large quantities, and exploding, on ignition, when mixed with atmospheric air.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mixture of gases (mostly methane) that form in coal mines and become explosive when mixed with air
fire + damp (Wiktionary)