from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of becoming hard or harder.
- n. Something that hardens, as a substance added to iron to yield steel.
- n. Gradual exposure of plants to cold weather.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of harden.
- n. The process by which something hardens.
- n. That which hardens, such as a material used for converting the surface of iron into steel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Making hard or harder.
- n. That which hardens, as a material used for converting the surface of iron into steel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the process of becoming hard or solid by cooling or drying or crystallization
- n. abnormal hardening or thickening of tissue
- n. the act of making something harder (firmer or tighter or more compact)
Sorry, no etymologies found.