from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of granulating.
- n. The condition or appearance of being granulated.
- n. Small, fleshy, beadlike protuberances, consisting of outgrowths of new capillaries, on the surface of a wound that is healing. Also called granulation tissue.
- n. The formation of these protuberances.
- n. The small, transient, brilliant granular markings on the photosphere of the sun.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The formation of granules
- n. The condition of being granulated
- n. Granulated tissue on the surface of a healing wound; granulation tissue
- n. A bright, transient granular marking on the Sun's photosphere
- n. The attachment of granules of precious metal to underlying metal of jewellery
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of forming or crystallizing into grains.
- n. The state of being granulated.
- n. One of the small, red, grainlike prominences which form on a raw surface (that of wounds or ulcers), and are the efficient agents in the process of healing.
- n. The act or process of the formation of such prominences.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of forming into grains; the state or process of being formed into grains: as, the granulation of gunpowder or sugar.
- n. In surgical pathology: The formation of new tissue, as in the repair of wounds, the free surface of which presents a granulated appearance. This tissue is called granulation tissue.
- n. Any one of the small granular elevations on the free surface of granulation tissue.
- n. In med. pathol., the formation of small grainlike bodies or tubercles in the substance of an organ, as in tubercular phthisis.
- n. In zoology and botany: A roughening of a surface with little tubercles like grains, or a surface so studded.
- n. One of the little elevations in a granulated surface.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. new connective tissue and tiny blood vessels that form on the surfaces of a wound during the healing process
- n. the act of forming something into granules or grains
Sorry, no etymologies found.