from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of piercing or penetrating something, especially:
- n. The act of entering a country or organization so as to establish influence or gain information.
- n. An attack that penetrates enemy territory or a military front.
- n. Insertion of the penis into the vagina or anus.
- n. The power or ability to penetrate.
- n. The depth reached by a projectile after hitting its target.
- n. The degree to which a commodity, for example, is sold or recognized in a particular market.
- n. The extent of influence that one culture or nation has on another.
- n. The capacity or action of understanding; insight.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of penetrating, piercing, or entering; also, the act of mentally penetrating into, or comprehending, anything difficult.
- n. Acuteness; insight; sharp discoverment; sagacity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of penetrating or piercing.
- n. Power of penetrating; specifically, in gunnery, the depth a projectile will pass into any material against which it is fired.
- n. Mental acuteness; discernment; insight: as, a man of extraordinary penetration.
- n. In optics: Of a microscope objective, its power of giving fairly distinct vision for points both inside and outside of its exact focus.
- n. Of a telescope, its space-penetrating power, as Herschel called it—i. e. the number of times by which the distance of an observed star might be increased while still appearing of the same brightness in the telescope as it does to the naked eye. It is proportional to the square root of the illuminating power, and for an achromatic telescope is approximately equal to four times its aperture in inches.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the ability to make way into or through something
- n. the depth to which something penetrates (especially the depth reached by a projectile that hits a target)
- n. clear or deep perception of a situation
- n. the act of entering into or through something
- n. an attack that penetrates into enemy territory
- n. the act (by a man) of inserting his penis into the vagina of a woman
"What I mean by 'penetration' is the fact that half the reason I don't like comic books is because I'd be flipping embarrassed to tell people about it if I did."
Its market penetration is a drop in an ocean of increasingly complex mobile computing devices.
Everyone else (who, in fairness, are often not publishing games as their sole source of support) doubtless have their own concerns over PDF piracy, but are in a position where they almost have to regard it as “free” advertising, simply because their effective market penetration is so low.
Its main rivals all have private label penetration in the mid-20% range.
And while I agree that Broadband would help – I think getting the US companies to go and invest in developing markets where broadband penetration is in single digits is very important!
ALU has simply re-positioned WiMAX as a solution for nomadic wireless broadband that makes an excellent fit to provide broadband in emerging markets, such as India or South East Asia, where copper penetration is very small, making DSL too costly.
Absolutely not hollow points penetration is not good with any hollow point and a 44 is a bit light for a mad grizz.
I've had great performance in penetration and knock down power.
However penetration is also a function of bullet quality.
I'm with you guys the only time you don't want/need penetration is on varmints/coyotes, or in a airplane at altitude (LOL).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.