from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A procedure used in or adapted from Chinese medical practice in which specific body areas are pierced with fine needles for therapeutic purposes or to relieve pain or produce regional anesthesia.
- transitive v. To subject to acupuncture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The insertion of needles into living tissue, especially for remedial purposes.
- v. To treat with acupuncture.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Pricking with a needle; a needle prick.
- transitive v. To treat with acupuncture.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A surgical operation consisting in the insertion of delicate needles in the tissues.
- n. A mode of infanticide in some countries, consisting in forcing a needle into the brain of the child.
- In surgery, to perform the operation of acupuncture upon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. treatment of pain or disease by inserting the tips of needles at specific points on the skin
Latin acus, needle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin acus ("needle") + puncture (Wiktionary)