American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act or process of repairing or the condition of being repaired.
- n. The act or process of making amends; expiation.
- n. Something done or paid to compensate or make amends.
- n. Compensation or remuneration required from a defeated nation as indemnity for damage or injury during a war.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of repairing; repair: restoration; upbuilding.
- n. What is done to repair a wrong; indemnification for loss or damage; satisfaction for any injury; amends.
- n. A renewal of friendship; reconciliation.
- n. Synonyms Restoration.
- n. Compeusation.
- n. In biology, the regeneration of a lost part out of the old tissue as contrasted with regeneration through the formation of new tissue.
- n. usually in plural A payment of time, effort or money to undo past transgression(s).
- n. The act of renewing, restoring, etc., or the state of being renewed or repaired; as, the reparation of a bridge or of a highway.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of renewing, restoring, etc., or the state of being renewed or repaired; ; -- in this sense,
repairis oftener used.
- n. The act of making amends or giving satisfaction or compensation for a wrong, injury, etc.; also, the thing done or given; amends; satisfaction; indemnity; --used, e.g. in the phrase make reparation, pay reparations, or make reparations.
- n. (usually plural) compensation exacted from a defeated nation by the victors
- n. compensation (given or received) for an insult or injury
- n. the act of putting something in working order again
- n. something done or paid in expiation of a wrong
- From Late Latin reparationem, from Latin reparatio. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English reparacion, from Old French, from Late Latin reparātiō, reparātiōn-, restoration, from Latin reparātus, past participle of reparāre, to repair; see repair1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Both groups advance comparable 10 point legislative agendas that would stabilize democracy long enough for us to forestall the worst and regroup for more long-term reparation of the Constitution and the rule of law.”
“This was foreordained in the Secret Purpose, and reparation is with Allah.”
“Ngqumba said that matters pertaining to the implementation of long term reparation measures would fall under the justice department.”
“This structure would be responsible for implementation of a long term reparation process, and serve as the responsibility for all outstanding reparations e.g. community, symbolic, administrative and legal, following the life of the Reparations Committee.”
“It makes recommendations to the president on both urgent interim relief and long-term reparation and rehabilitation for the victims of gross human rights violations.”
“The function of the reparation and rehabilitation committee is to make recommendations to President (Nelson Mandela) on both urgent interim relief and long-term reparation and rehabilitation for the victims of gross human rights violations (between) March 1 1960 and December 5 1993," she said.”
“There can be no doubt that exacting reparation is just and is fair.”
“When that situation is realized and that time comes-we have to wait for it to develop-then, I am not without hope that the British people will say to their gallant French Ally: "You fought on our side in the war; you cannot get reparation from the enemy who ought to make this reparation; it is physically impossible: we will forgive the debt that you have incurred to us.”
“She there teaches us that living chemistry, the chemistry of reparation, is something different from the chemistry of the laboratory.”
“We now offer, in reparation for these violations of Thy Divine Honor, the satisfaction Thou didst once make to Thy Eternal Father on the cross and which Thou dost continue to renew daily on our altars; we offer it in union with the acts of atonement of Thy Virgin Mother and all the saints and of the pious faithful on earth; and we sincerely promise to make recompense as far as we can, with the help of Thy grace, for all neglect of Thy great love and for the sins we and others have committed in the past.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘reparation’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
It's an odd-looking pattern in English. Please add words if it makes you happy. :) K-POW! Wow @gulyasrobi!
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Words as I learn them.
this list appeared in many American newspapers in the fall of 2002.
few important words starting with letter R
Looking for tweets for reparation.