from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of specializing or the process of becoming specialized.
- n. Biology Adaptation, as of an organ or organism, to a specific function or environment.
- n. Biology A character, feature, or organism resulting from such adaptation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process of specializing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of specializing, or the state of being spezialized.
- n. The setting apart of a particular organ for the performance of a particular function.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or process of specializing; a making or fixing of special differences or requirements; differentiation.
- n. The state of being or becoming specialized; a condition of fixed or developed differentiation, as of parts, organs, or individuals, with reference to form, appearance, function, etc.
- n. In biology, that evolutionary process whereby parts or organs primitively indifferent or of common character become differentiated in form or function (usually in both); also, the result of such process or course of development; adaptive modification.
- n. Also spelled specialisation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (biology) the structural adaptation of some body part for a particular function
- n. the special line of work you have adopted as your career
- n. the act of specializing; making something suitable for a special purpose
Look at tech job postings to see how much specialization is required of late.
Its specialization is sacred music, which is not just any music but music especially suitable for liturgy, which leaves time and strives to touch eternity.
Anax's topic of specialization is Adam Forde, an essential figure in their brief history.
By far the most unique operation Higgins encountered that informed his stance on specialization is Calera, a Central Coast California winery located near Mt. Harlan that primarily makes Pinot Noir.
Our methods, tools, and theories come from a vast number of sources, I can only see domain specialization continue to push that further.
Domain specialization presses on that because we face a dilemma, with finite teachable time, can you teach all that is required to make a domain expert?
Not huge, but well-curated, which can mean having off-the-beaten path selections or a certain specialization, be it a regional focus or from an astute distributor or importer.
The result is a modicum of social order, an increase in specialization and division of labor, and economic growth.
This seems specially plausible if specialization is knowing more about less.
Feld. com Blog: Vertical specialization is different.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.