from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of severing.
- n. The condition of being severed.
- n. Separation; partition.
- n. Severance pay.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of severing or the state of being severed.
- n. A separation.
- n. A severance payment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of severing, or the state of being severed; partition; separation.
- n. The act of dividing; the singling or severing of two or more that join, or are joined, in one writ; the putting in several or separate pleas or answers by two or more disjointly; the destruction of the unity of interest in a joint estate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of severing, or the state of being severed; separation; the act of dividing or disuniting; partition.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of severing
- n. a personal or social separation (as between opposing factions)
Sorry, no etymologies found.