from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Very severe: a splitting headache.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instance where something splits.
- n. A division in the mind, or affecting one's sense of self.
- n. The cleavage of a covalent bond.
- adj. Resembling the sound of something being split or ripped.
- adj. Severe.
- v. Present participle of split.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Very severe, or in some way extreme, as if it were likely to cause something to split: as, a splitting headache.
- Very rapid.
- n. An act denoted by the verb ‘split’; specifically, in harvesting tobacco, the cleaving of the stalk nearly to the base, with the purpose of ‘hanging,’ i.e. placing it astride a stick for curing: practised with heavy export tobacco. For other methods see pegging, 6, and spearing, 1.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. resembling a sound of violent tearing as of something ripped apart or lightning splitting a tree
Sorry, no etymologies found.