American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act or process of producing something knitted.
- n. Material that has been knitted or is being knitted.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of tying or fastening in a knot, or of winding about and about; entanglement.
- n. The act of weaving by looping or knotting a continuous thread.
- n. Work done by a knitter; knitting-work.
- v. present participle of knit.
- n. The action of the verb to knit; the process of producing knitted material.
- n. Material that has been, or is being knitted.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The work of a knitter; the network formed by knitting; knitwork.
- n. Union formed by knitting, as of bones.
- n. creating knitted wear
- n. needlework created by interlacing yarn in a series of connected loops using straight eyeless needles or by machine
“I don't know how I'm going to bear it -- to lie here on my couch, knitting -- _knitting!”
“Unpicking plain knitting is dead easy, of course, but the k2togs and (worse) the k3togs tend to stick together.”
“The introduction talks at length about the origin of the word knitting and its historical meaning.”
“Also cutting in on the knitting is the summer semester, which started last week for me.”
“I've always been a loose woman ... uh, in knitting, that is.”
“ When I’m around people who express an interest in knitting, I try very hard to do the exact opposite, to explain that all knitting is a variation on one simple step.”
“Phyllis Howe, a marketing consultant to people in the yarn industry, says knitting is making a belated comeback among men, led by young men now breaking into the fashion industry and progressive schools, such as the Waldorf schools, where it's part of the curriculum.”
“The editor then says cheerfully that unravelling knitting is easy – unlike weaving.”
“More medical than knitting at the moment, but knitting is there, and she writes well.”
“About twenty years ago there was a surge of interest in knitting and one of the Sunday papers published lots of articles over the course of a few weeks.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘knitting’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Add anything you like--I'm sure we can stitch it all together somehow.
words i like!
Words I like to use or would like to use in the near future. Totally random.
Looking for tweets for knitting.