from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Work, such as sewing or embroidery, that is done with a needle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the art or process of working with a needle especially in embroidery or needlepoint.
- n. the product of such art or process.
- n. the occupation or employment of a person skilled in embroidery, needlepoint, ect.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Work executed with a needle; sewed work; sewing; embroidery, crocheting, quilting, or tapestry, etc.; also, the art, process, or occupation of creating objects with needles.
- n. The combination of timber and plaster making the outside framework of some houses.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The work or occupation of one who uses the needle, especially in sewing.
- n. Work produced by means of the needle, especially embroidery in all its forms, which is in this way discriminated from decoration produced by weaving, knitting, netting, etc.
- n. In architecture, a form of construction combining a framework of timber and a plaster or masonry filling, employed very commonly in medieval houses, and for some partitions, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a creation created or assembled by needle and thread
- n. work (such as sewing or embroidery) that is done with a needle
Sorry, no etymologies found.