from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of inserting.
- n. Something inserted, as an ornamental strip of lace or embroidery inserted between pieces of fabric.
- n. Anatomy The point or mode of attachment of a skeletal muscle to the bone or other body part that it moves.
- n. Genetics The addition, as by mutation, of one or more nucleotides to a chromosome.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of inserting, or something inserted.
- n. The distal end of attachment of a muscle to a bone that will be moved by the muscle.
- n. The addition of a nucleotide to a chromosome by mutation
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of inserting
- n. The condition or mode of being inserted or attached.
- n. That which is set in or inserted, such as a word or passage in a composition, or a narrow strip of embroidered lace, muslin, or cambric.
- n. The point or part by which a muscle or tendon is attached to the part to be moved; -- in contradistinction to its
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A putting in; the act of inserting, or placing, or setting something in or among other things: as, the insertion of a beam in a wall.
- n. That which is inserted.
- n. A band of lace or other ornamental material inserted in a plain fabric for decorative purposes. Such bands are often made with both edges alike, and with a certain amount of plain stuff on either side, to allow them to be sewed on strongly.
- n. Place or manner of attachment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a message (spoken or written) that is introduced or inserted
- n. the act of putting one thing into another
Sorry, no etymologies found.
For today's installment of (Ad) Word of the Day, we're looking at keyword insertion from the AdWords Glossary:
Keyword insertion is a powerful feature that can save you time and also help make your ad text more relevant.
Keyword insertion is an advanced feature used to dynamically update your ad text with your chosen keywords.
LRO's lunar orbit insertion is scheduled for Tuesday morning, followed by orbit trimming burns over the next four days.
The fact that we know how tranposition works and that location of insertion is pretty much random (AFAIK) is evidence that it was random.
This insertion is uncomfortable and your child may cry during this brief process, but once the probe is inserted, your child should feel only mild discomfort.
Structurally, the reason for this insertion is clear enough.
They will lube it, massage it, and tenderly caress it until there is no resistance to the insertion from the Dems.
If so, then Hall would conclude that either his techniques were too insensitive to pick up the one or two mutations it took to increase resistance, or that there was an insertion from a related bacterium.
As part of a curative approach to mesothelioma radiotherapy is also commonly applied to the sites of chest drain insertion, in order to prevent growth of the tumor along the track in the chest wall.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.