American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act or process of inserting.
- n. Something inserted, as an ornamental strip of lace or embroidery inserted between pieces of fabric.
- n. Anatomy The point or mode of attachment of a skeletal muscle to the bone or other body part that it moves.
- n. Genetics The addition, as by mutation, of one or more nucleotides to a chromosome.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A putting in; the act of inserting, or placing, or setting something in or among other things: as, the insertion of a beam in a wall.
- n. That which is inserted. Speciflcally— A passage or paragraph inserted in the text of a writing.
- n. A band of lace or other ornamental material inserted in a plain fabric for decorative purposes. Such bands are often made with both edges alike, and with a certain amount of plain stuff on either side, to allow them to be sewed on strongly.
- n. Place or manner of attachment. In botany, the place or the mode of attachment of an organ to its support.
- n. The act of inserting, or something inserted.
- n. anatomy The distal end of attachment of a muscle to a bone that will be moved by the muscle.
- n. genetics The addition of a nucleotide to a chromosome by mutation
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of inserting
- n. The condition or mode of being inserted or attached.
- n. That which is set in or inserted, such as a word or passage in a composition, or a narrow strip of embroidered lace, muslin, or cambric.
- n. (Anat.) The point or part by which a muscle or tendon is attached to the part to be moved; -- in contradistinction to its
- n. a message (spoken or written) that is introduced or inserted
- n. the act of putting one thing into another
“For today's installment of (Ad) Word of the Day, we're looking at keyword insertion from the AdWords Glossary:”
“Keyword insertion is a powerful feature that can save you time and also help make your ad text more relevant.”
“Keyword insertion is an advanced feature used to dynamically update your ad text with your chosen keywords.”
“LRO's lunar orbit insertion is scheduled for Tuesday morning, followed by orbit trimming burns over the next four days.”
“The fact that we know how tranposition works and that location of insertion is pretty much random (AFAIK) is evidence that it was random.”
“This insertion is uncomfortable and your child may cry during this brief process, but once the probe is inserted, your child should feel only mild discomfort.”
“Structurally, the reason for this insertion is clear enough.”
“They will lube it, massage it, and tenderly caress it until there is no resistance to the insertion from the Dems.”
“If so, then Hall would conclude that either his techniques were too insensitive to pick up the one or two mutations it took to increase resistance, or that there was an insertion from a related bacterium.”
“As part of a curative approach to mesothelioma radiotherapy is also commonly applied to the sites of chest drain insertion, in order to prevent growth of the tumor along the track in the chest wall.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘insertion’.
parsing, tagging, computational lin..., computer science, language processing, machine learning, natural language ..., semantic level, word sense ambiguity, discourse level, anaphora, ambiguity and 332 more...
Use these and get promoted
A hodgepodge, jumble, jambalaya, *gallimaufry, circus and tent revival of plant anatomy and morphology terms and phrases - its a big tent, and no tickets are required.
Terms pertaining to lace and lace-making. Patterns, tools, types, styles, stitches.
The vocabulary of conference interpreting. I commend this list to those who want to know more about the profession and to those who wish to organize their knowledge about the profession. To aspirin...
Looking for tweets for insertion.