from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or an instance of exerting, especially a strenuous effort.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An expenditure of physical or mental effort.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of exerting, or putting into motion or action; the active exercise of any power or faculty; an effort, esp. a laborious or perceptible effort.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of exerting; the act of putting into motion or action; effort; a striving: as, an exertion of strength or power; an exertion of the limbs or of the mind.
- n. Synonyms Endeavor, attempt, trial.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. use of physical or mental energy; hard work
Sorry, no etymologies found.