from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chiefly British Variant of endeavor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sincere attempt; a determined or assiduous effort towards a specific goal.
- n. Enterprise; assiduous or persistent activity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See endeavor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. attempt by employing effort
- n. a purposeful or industrious undertaking (especially one that requires effort or boldness)
- n. earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something
Middle English endeveren, corresponding to en- + devoir; compare Middle French se mettre en devoir de faire ("to make it one's duty to do, to endeavour to do"). (Wiktionary)