from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- pro. Everything or anything that: Do whatever you please.
- pro. What amount that; the whole of what: Whatever is left over is yours.
- pro. No matter what: Whatever happens, we'll meet here tonight.
- pro. Which thing or things; what: Whatever does he mean?
- pro. Informal What remains and need not be mentioned; what have you: Please bring something to the party-pretzels, crackers, whatever.
- adj. Of any number or kind; any: Whatever requests you make will be granted.
- adj. All of; the whole of: She applied whatever strength she had left to the task.
- adj. Of any kind at all: No campers whatever may use the lake before noon.
- interj. Informal Used to indicate indifference to or scorn for something, such as a remark or suggestion: We're having pizza tonight.-Whatever. I don't care.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Unexceptional or unimportant; blah.
- No matter which; for any
- Anything that.
- interj. A holophrastic expression used discourteously to indicate that the speaker does not consider the matter worthy of further discussion.
- pro. Anything; used to indicate that the speaker does not care about options.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- pro. Anything soever which; the thing or things of any kind; being this or that; of one nature or another; one thing or another; anything that may be; all that; the whole that; all particulars that; -- used both substantively and adjectively.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A. indef. rel. Anything which; no matter what; all that.
- B. interrog. What? as, whatever shall I do?
- Of what kind or sort it may be; no matter what; any or all that: applied to persons and things: as, whatever person is appointed must be satisfactory to the court.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. one or some or every or all without specification
Sorry, no etymologies found.