from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In what manner or way; by what means: How does this machine work?
- adv. In what state or condition: How is she today?
- adv. To what extent, amount, or degree: How bad was it?
- adv. For what reason or purpose; why: How is it that he left early?
- adv. With what meaning: How should I take that remark?
- adv. By what name: How is she called?
- adv. By what measure; in what units: How do you sell this corn?
- adv. What. Usually used in requesting that something be said again: How's that again?
- adv. Used as an intensive: How we laughed!
- conj. The manner or way in which: forgot how it was done.
- conj. That.
- conj. In whatever way or manner; however: Cook it how you please.
- n. A manner or method of doing something: "The how of research is generated by the why of the world” ( Frederick Turner).
- idiom and how Informal Most certainly; you bet: She's a good dancer, and how!
- idiom how about What is your thought, feeling, or desire regarding: How about a cup of tea? How about that storm last night?
- idiom how about that Informal Used rhetorically to express surprise or wonder at or approval for something.
- idiom how come Informal How is it that; why: How come you're so late?
- idiom how so How is it so: You say the answer is wrong. How so?
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. To what degree.
- adv. In what manner.
- adv. Used as a modifier to indicate surprise, delight, or other strong feelings.
- adj. In what state.
- n. The means by which something is accomplished.
- conj. In which way; in such way.
- conj. That, the fact that, the way that.
- n. An artificial barrow or tumulus.
- n. A small hill in northern England. (Usage preserved mainly in place names.)
- interj. a greeting, used in representations of Native American speech
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In what manner or way; by what means or process.
- adv. To what degree or extent, number or amount; in what proportion; by what measure or quality.
- adv. For what reason; from what cause.
- adv. In what state, condition, or plight.
- adv. By what name, designation, or title.
- adv. At what price; how dear.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A. interrogative. In what way? in what manner?
- By what means?—as, how did he do it? how did you come?
- To what degree or extent? in what proportion or amount? by what measure or quantity?—qualifying an adverb or adjective of degree or quantity: as, how large was it? how far did you go? how many tickets did you get?
- In this use often exclamatory in form and affirmative in meaning.
- Such sentences also take in modern speech the affirmative form: as, how much better you are looking! how little you have changed! how stupid he is!
- In what state, condition, or plight?
- So colloquially, in reference to one's health or affairs: as, how do you do? how have you been? how's your family? he asked how you all were; how is business?
- At what price?—as, how do you sell your potatoes? how is wheat going now?
- For what reason ? why?
- To what effect? what? — with regard to a thing said or asked about, as when one asks an opinion or a repetition of a thing said and not understood: equivalent to the simple what?—as, how say you, gentlemen of the jury? How used alone, instead of what, is chiefly colloquial.
- With this use of how is connected its interjectional use, marking surprise, or being a mere greeting or call.
- In this use often with now: as, how now! what are you doing?
- B. relative. In what way; in what manner; the way or manner in which …: introducing a relative clause and performing the office of a conjunctional adverb.
- By what means; the means by which.
- To what degree or extent; in what proportion or amount; by what measure or quantity: qualifying an adverb or adjective: as, I do not know how large it is; I asked him how far he had traveled.
- In what state, condition, or plight.
- At what price: as, he inquired how the stocks were selling.
- For what reason; why.
- That: with reference to the manner, and also to the result: in objective clauses, after say, tell, relate, report, etc.
- Especially in combination: How that, that.
- As how, that.
- Hollow; deep or low.
- n. Any hollow place.
- n. The hold of a ship.
- n. A glen; a dell; also, a plain.
- To care.
- A syllable of salutation among various tribes of American Indians.
- n. The manner of doing or becoming; way.
- n. A low hill: obsolete or dialectal, but retained in some place-names: as, Silver How, near Grasmere; Fox How.
- n. Care; anxiety.
- n. A Scotch form of houve.
The organization is actually superb as it allows you to organize how YOU like to; and then that "search" allows you to find anything no matter *how* it's organized.
I think a key feature of being familiar with common interaction patterns i.e. how to login, what is email, etc. is that one learns what can be ignored and we learn *how* to ignore things.
Every number carries stories of men who have in part-time or whole-time farming, in small shops, in backyard industries tried out Distributism and can tell us how it has worked and _how to work it_.
The irony here that political candidates has to register the money they receive and how much they spent on political commercials..how can this be fair when you have a 24 hours network is supporting one party over the other…free of charge 24 hours called Fox Network?
When they consider that each of our remedies is a specific on which great labor has been expended for years to perfect it, and when they further consider how much better anything can be done which is exclusively followed with the facilities that large manufactories afford, then they may see not only that we do, but _how_ we make better medicines than have been produced before.
Apparently, have the pupils been shown _how_ to study, i.e., how to prepare the work most advantageously?
She must use excellent English, must know how to dress quietly and suitably, and must not only _know how_ to keep herself in the background of family life, but must be
As I rode along to-day thinkin '-- thinkin' -- thinkin '-- how can I save the children an' Cap'n Tom, _how can I get a little money to send Cap'n
So I told him how wrong I had acted, and how sorry I felt for it, and then I asked him to tell me _how_ my life had been saved, and if any one was killed, and all about the accident.
It cannot show just how or when life or the various kinds of life did originate, it can only show _how it did not_.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.