American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To acknowledge openly, boldly, and unashamedly; confess: avow guilt. See Synonyms at acknowledge.
- v. To state positively.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To own or acknowledge obligation or relation to, as a person: as, he avowed him for his son.
- To sanction; approve.
- To declare openly, often with a view to justify, maintain, or defend: as, to avow one's principles.
- Specifically, in law, to acknowledge and justify, as when the distrainer of goods defends in an action of replevin, and avows the taking, but insists that such taking was legal. See avowry, 1.
- 5. To admit or confess openly or frankly; acknowledge; own: as, to avow one's self a convert.
- Synonyms To affirm, assert, profess. Admit, Confess, etc. See acknowledge.
- In law, to justify or maintain an act done, specifically a distress for rent taken in one's own right.
- n. An avowal; a bold declaration.
- To bind with a vow.
- 2. To devote or dedicate by a vow; vow.
- To vow to do or keep; promise; undertake.
- To bind one's self by a vow; make a vow; vow.
- n. A vow; a promise.
- v. transitive To declare openly and boldly, as something believed to be right; to own, acknowledge or confess frankly.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To declare openly, as something believed to be right; to own or acknowledge frankly.
- v. (Law) To acknowledge and justify, as an act done. See Avowry.
- n. obsolete Avowal.
- v. obsolete To bind, or to devote, by a vow.
- n. Archaic A vow or determination.
- v. to declare or affirm solemnly and formally as true
- v. admit openly and bluntly; make no bones about
- From Old French avouer, from Latin advocare ("to call to, call upon, hence to call as a witness, defender, patron, or advocate"), from ad ("to") + vocare ("to call"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English avowen, from Old French avouer, from Latin advocāre, to call upon; see advocate. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“To punish men for beliefs they dare to avow is to risk punishing the sincere and to allow hypocrites to go unpunished.”
“Yet she could not bring herself to avow it openly, either at or after the luncheon.”
“In order to achieve full civil rights now, we avow:”
“Ennahda party leaders have said that the Assembly will focus on democracy, human rights and a free-market economy -- and will not introduce Sharia law or other Islamic concepts to alter what they avow to be a secular constitutional text.”
“They openly avow their objective is to institute Sharia law wherever they rule.”
“For many Christians, America has become a fierce goddess, who claims more of their loyalty than the God in whose name they have been baptized and whose absolute Lordship they solemnly avow.”
“Federation, speaking of the National Civic Federation soon after its inception, said: To fall into one another's arms, to avow friendship, to express regret at the injury which has been done, would not alter the facts of the situation.”
“Your position - that they are all guilty until they publicly avow themselves innocent (thus exposing themselves and their reputations to accusations from unscrupulous persons) - is simply irrational, and, as I said before, completely ineffective.”
“And as they treat of village manners, and rural scenes, it appears to me not ill-timed to avow, that I have hopes of meeting in some degree the approbation of my country.”
“For some time I was lost in conjecture as to the cause of this; but yesterday an idea struck me, and if it is well founded, I conjure you to avow it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘avow’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
Words with the prefix "a"
ahh these hurt.....
Words as I learn them.
Don't tell them they are not real--they might cry.
a list of the words i HAVE to know..
Looking for tweets for avow.