from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of a Buddhist people inhabiting the area of the Mekong River in Laos and Thailand.
- n. The Tai language of the Lao.
- adj. Of or relating to the Lao or their language or culture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person of Lao ethnicity.
- proper n. The official language of Laos (closely related to Thai).
- adj. Of, from, or pertaining to Laos, the Lao people or the Lao language.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of a Buddhist people inhabiting the area of the Mekong River in Laos and Thailand and speaking the Lao language; related to the Thais
- adj. of or relating to a member of the Buddhist people inhabiting the Mekong river in Laos and Thailand
- n. the Tai language of a Buddhist people living in the area of the Mekong River in Thailand and Laos
Lao Láo, perhaps from láo, person (unattested sense), third person common-gender pronoun.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Lao ລາວ (laaw). (Wiktionary)