American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A member of a Buddhist people inhabiting the area of the Mekong River in Laos and Thailand.
- n. The Tai language of the Lao.
- adj. Of or relating to the Lao or their language or culture.
- n. A person of Lao ethnicity.
- n. The official language of Laos (closely related to Thai).
- adj. Of, from, or pertaining to Laos, the Lao people or the Lao language.
- n. a member of a Buddhist people inhabiting the area of the Mekong River in Laos and Thailand and speaking the Lao language; related to the Thais
- adj. of or relating to a member of the Buddhist people inhabiting the Mekong river in Laos and Thailand
- n. the Tai language of a Buddhist people living in the area of the Mekong River in Thailand and Laos
- From Lao ລາວ (laaw). (Wiktionary)
- Lao Láo, perhaps from láo, person (unattested sense), third person common-gender pronoun. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Thus, Qin Lao's mute servant Zhou in Sichuan province (or, if you will, Qin Lao himself in his near-sterility), or Kyllikki a millennium later in the Village of the Sled Dogs, deaf from a fever, or noble Ming Tao born with”
“As for the historical characters: Qin Lao's sober perseverance and determination to get his experiments right, c'est moi.”
““She has … [short conversation in Lao with his buddy] … experience!””
“Granted, compared to everywhere else in Lao, Vientiane is a crazy big city, but I am instantly relieved of any Asian-Urban-Stress here in Vientiane when I remember Saigon, Hanoi, Dhaka, Hong Kong, Kolkata …”
“Just a year ago, when my friend Hadley Robinson was in Lao, there were reportedly no ATMs.”
“Lao is also a tonal language like Vietnamese, but people speak so much slower and without so much shrill in their voice.”
“But in Lao, the phrase “Kawp Jai Lai Lai”, meaning essentially “Thank you very much” is sung – not spoken – and their smile reaches clear through their eyes.”
“Other things that I like to eat that are sold along the street side in Lao include:”
“English Language Learner services are offered by the district in Vietnamese, Lao, and Spanish.”
“By the way, here's my answer to his question, "Does the word Lao mean anything to you?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Lao’.
This is not a scientific list based on unified criteria, the sole aim was to collect as many language names as possible.
The list contains the names of the following artificial langua...
Looking for tweets for Lao.