American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act or process of replacing or of being replaced; substitution.
- n. One that replaces, especially a person assigned to a vacant military position.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of replacing.
- n. In crystallography, the removal of an edge or angle by one plane or more.
- n. A person or thing that takes the place of another; a substitute.
- n. The act of replacing something.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of replacing.
- n. (Crystallog.) The removal of an edge or an angle by one or more planes.
- n. an event in which one thing is substituted for another
- n. a person who follows next in order
- n. filling again by supplying what has been used up
- n. a person or thing that takes or can take the place of another
- n. someone who takes the place of another person
- n. the act of furnishing an equivalent person or thing in the place of another
- replace + -ment (Wiktionary)
“To accommodate multi-widgets (e.g. Text and RSS) you can also pass a replacement value with the name: array ($name_as_sprintf_pattern, $textdomain, $replacement).”
“The "e" modifier makes preg_replace () treat the $replacement parameter as PHP code after the appropriate references substitution is done. replacement: The string or an array with strings to replace.”
“The acknowledgment that it isn't bad, and the use of the word replacement here are very important.”
“And this replacement is also the husband of Anita Dunn who just resigned as the communications director.”
“Don't assume that this replacement is the most cost-effective choice for you, say experts.”
“From the Miami Herald: TALLAHASSEE -- Sen. Mel Martinez told friends and supporters Friday in an e-mail that he'll step down from the Senate as soon as a replacement is appointed to fill out his term.”
“Of course, the productions this year are sharing room with news about many transitions - the news of music director Alan Gilbert's departure and the appointment of his most excellent and esteemed replacement Edo de Waart, and now the news that general director Richard Gaddes, the companies 2nd general director in 50 years will retire as soon as his replacement is appointed.”
“But this replacement is amazing and (dare i say) cuter than that sexy beast, Johnny Depp.”
“Shealy - Has been given multiple opportunities to excel on the major league level, and with the exception of one month at the end of '08 has been what you classify as a replacement player.”
“Every year we need to spend more than $2 billion on what we call replacement costs - replacing existing track, ties, and ballast as they wear out.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘replacement’.
Abbe-Helmert crit..., a priori probability, alphabet, total correlation, three-dimensional..., theoretical frequ..., time reversal test, three-series theorem, theoretical variable, tetrachoric corre..., absolutely unbias..., absolute error and 4171 more...
result; product; instrument; means
At first, this was a list for things found in Dinosaurs: A Concise Natural History by David E. Fastovsky. But now it's degenerated a bit to contain anything dinosaur or fossil related.
Very basic words for ESL students.
The vocabulary of conference interpreting. I commend this list to those who want to know more about the profession and to those who wish to organize their knowledge about the profession. To aspirin...
Looking for tweets for replacement.