American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A child secretly exchanged for another.
- n. Archaic A changeable, fickle person.
- n. Archaic A person of deficient intelligence.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A child left or taken in the place of another; especially, in popular superstition, a strange, stupid, ugly child left by the fairies in place of a beautiful or charming child that they have stolen away.
- n. Figuratively, anything changed for or put in the place of another, or the act of so changing.
- n. One apt to change; a waverer.
- Exchanged: specifically applied to a child fancied to have been exchanged for another by the fairies.
- Given to change; inconstant; fickle: as, “studiously changeling,”
- n. mythology In British, Irish and Scandinavian mythology, an infant of a fairy, sprite or troll that the creature has secretly exchanged for a human infant.
- n. informal, rare An infant secretly exchanged with another infant.
- n. An organism which can change shape to mimic others.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who, or that which, is left or taken in the place of another, as a child exchanged by fairies.
- n. A simpleton; an idiot.
- n. One apt to change; a waverer.
- adj. Taken or left in place of another; changed.
- adj. obsolete Given to change; inconstant.
- n. a child secretly exchanged for another in infancy
- n. a person of subnormal intelligence
- change + -ling (Wiktionary)
“How about Lucas and Sascha's little one in changeling form?”
“He didn't hurt the-" the word changeling was in her mind but would not come out of her mouth, and Elizabeth finished "'the little boy.”
“No matter how old or young, the object is to deceive the parents into thinking that this changeling is actually their child.”
“He leaned against the elvensteed, cold, empty, and exhausted, trying to dismiss his sense of loss and unable to decide whether the loss of Mwynwen or that of the changeling was the most painful.”
“The changeling was the only one on this station who would deliberately change history in order to make life more miserable than it already was for Quark.”
“Not us, Quark said in a tone suggesting the changeling was a Pakled.”
“A changeling was a fairy child that was left in place ofa human baby.”
“It is in the same way that in ignorant ages the notion of changeling has been produced.”
“August 2, 2007 6:47 PM i think the changeling is one of the best most supernatural story i have seen , ive never come across a movie like this before i have seen lady in white and exorcist but the changeling is a movie 2 take seriously which could even be based on true event , and the fact that this film has no atmosphere just makes it more creepy to watch . i believe not to make a remake this will spoil this film and no doubt the new version will have cgi where the origional had none.”
“THE GOLDWATER GIRL AND OTHER CHANGELINGS yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'THE GOLDWATER GIRL AND OTHER CHANGELINGS'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'Article: The winner will face another race against another "changeling" whose ambition has wreaked horrendous changes in him.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘changeling’.
Music brings silence's to raging thoughts and temperament , calm, as it is our object of definite purpose.
Movies or TV shows where the titles are also common words, generally one-word titles.
Turned this up on etymonline.com (link). It's amazing.
1937, coined in the fantasy tales of J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973).
On a blank leaf I scrawled: 'In a hole...
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
This is Ghost List 2 ( the kind that go 'boo!' ) :P
( open list )
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Looking for tweets for changeling.