from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person who is felt to be deficient in judgment, good sense, or intelligence; a fool.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A simple person lacking common sense.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A person of weak intellect; a silly person.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person of limited or feeble intelligence; a foolish or silly person.
- n. The American dunlin, purre, or ox-bird. See cut under dunlin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person lacking intelligence or common sense
simple + -ton (as in surnames such as Chesterton, Singleton).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
simple + -ton (as in a surname). Abbreviation of simple Tony or Anthony (Grose 1811 Dictionary). Compare French simplet, Italian semplicione. (Wiktionary)