American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See catkin.
- n. A person with severely deficient intellectual capacity.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, a kind of inflorescence consisting of unisexual apetalous flowers growing in the axils of scales or bracts ranged along a stalk or axis; a catkin. The true ament or catkin is articulated with the branch and is deciduous; it is well seen in the inflorescence of the birch, willow, and poplar, and in the staminate inflorescence of the oak, walnut, and hazel. Also written amentum.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) A species of inflorescence; a catkin.
- n. a cylindrical spikelike inflorescence
- Latin āmentum, strap.From Latin āmēns, āment-, insane : ā-, ab-, out of; see ab-1 + mēns, mind; see men-1 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“ The young bride and young groom were matched in temper-ament and agreeable looks and could barely keep their eyes off each other.”
“Their policy is deeply at odds with the majority of Canadians and of Parli ament.”
“The young bride and young groom were matched in temper-ament and agreeable looks and could barely keep their eyes off each other.”
“Geddes was not Jewish, but he was very familiar with the Old Testament and was committed to Utopian ideals that could be applied to the new Jewish homeland.”
“Tis generally true; for as he observes,  Priorem flammam novus ignis extrudit; et ea multorum natura, ut praesentes maxime ament, one fire drives out another; and such is women's weakness, that they love commonly him that is present.”
“For either, as he follows it,  you must allow them concubines, or suffer them to marry, for scarce shall you find three priests of three thousand, qui per aetatem non ament, that are not troubled with burning lust.”
“Thank you Bones, but I would like to ament one tiny part.”
“A silly tyrant said, oderint modo timeant; a wise man would have said, modo ament nihil timendum est mihi.”
“In the future, Ernie, when I start tossing superlatives, give me a swift kick and remind me of time I allowed an entire show to be based on one ament al fruit.”
“With ament al twitch Jim accessed the Queen's warfare database and brought up the relevant information.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ament’.
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
A hodgepodge, jumble, jambalaya, *gallimaufry, circus and tent revival of plant anatomy and morphology terms and phrases - its a big tent, and no tickets are required.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words gathered while reading Pale Fire.
These are lexical items new to me that I've discovered in actual use (i.e. not in dictionaries, lists, or this site).
Looking back over this list, I haven't the slightest idea what mos...
Words describing people with mental deficiencies.
Words gathered while reading Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov.
Looking for tweets for ament.