from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person afflicted with cretinism.
- n. Slang An idiot.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who fails to develop mentally and physically due to a congenital hypothyroidism.
- n. An idiot.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One afflicted with cretinism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of a numerous class of deformed idiots found in certain valleys of the Alps and elsewhere; one afflicted with cretinism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person of subnormal intelligence
French crétin, from French dialectal, deformed and mentally retarded person found in certain Alpine valleys, from Vulgar Latin *christiānus, Christian, human being, poor fellow, from Latin Chrīstiānus, Christian; see Christian.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French crétin (dialectal form of chrétien), from Vulgar Latin christianus, from Latin Christianus, in the lost sense of 'unfortunate person'. (Wiktionary)