from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A congenital condition caused by a deficiency of thyroid hormone during prenatal development and characterized in childhood by dwarfed stature, mental retardation, dystrophy of the bones, and a low basal metabolism. Also called congenital myxedema.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A condition of severely stunted physical and mental growth due to the untreated congenital deficiency of thyroid hormones.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A condition of endemic or inherited idiocy, accompanied by physical degeneracy and deformity (usually with goiter), frequent in certain mountain valleys, esp. of the Alps.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a condition of imperfect mental development or idiocy, with a corresponding lack of physical development, or deformity, arising from endemic causes, found among the inhabitants of the valleys of Switzerland and Savoy, and elsewhere.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. severe hypothyroidism resulting in physical and mental stunting
From cretin + -ism. (Wiktionary)