from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A plant that blooms.
- n. A person who attains full maturity and competence: a late bloomer.
- n. Slang A blunder.
- n. A costume formerly worn by women and girls that was composed of loose trousers gathered about the ankles and worn under a short skirt.
- n. Wide, loose trousers gathered at the knee and formerly worn by women and girls as an athletic costume.
- n. Girls' underpants of similar design.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An ironworker.
- n. A circular loaf of white bread.
- n. A blooming flower.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A costume for women, consisting of a short dress, with loose trousers gathered round ankles, and (commonly) a broad-brimmed hat.
- n. A woman who wears a Bloomer costume.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the character of the style of female dress introduced by Mrs. Bloomer of New York in 1849-50: as, a bloomer costume; a bloomer hat.
- n. A dress or costume for women, the distinctive features of which are a short skirt, loose trousers buttoned round the ankle, and a broad-brimmed, low-crowned hat. Specifically
- n. A bloomer hat.
- n. plural The articles composing a bloomer costume: as, to be dressed in bloomers.
- n. A woman who assumes such a dress.
- n. A plant which blooms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a flower that blooms in a particular way
- n. an embarrassing mistake
At 6-7/187, the late bloomer is a 1988 birthdate who still must be drafted, so many teams have made special trips in to see him during the second half.
This late-bloomer is still gaining acceptance as an offensive force, so pardon the rest of baseball for being slow to getting around to the idea that he's a strong defender, too.
I am a lot of things and trans, transsexual, or late-bloomer is the least of me.
But I was a late "bloomer"-my first set of braces got taken off before I had started going through puberty..so my facial bone structure hadn't grown all the way yet..and my mom even warned her that all her kids are late-bloomers.
I've also made some 'bloomer' pettitpants to wear mostly for warmth, (under my skirts) but a long-time dresses-only friend suggested them for ease of sitting on the floor, or more active duties in a dress.
Add to that the recent "bloomer" by Godfrey Bloom in Strasbourg, when the Yorkshire MEP pronounced that the role of women was to "clean behind the ‘fridges", and UKIP’s stock could be on the wane.
One or two Members questioned this and when he sat down he realized he had made a 'bloomer'.
Remember that in matrimony, as in everything else it is the premier "bloomer" which blows up les châteaux en Espagne.
I, for instance, invented a dress -- a kind of bloomer thing -- only it wasn't a bloomer.
An sparsely populated, ungroomed black run is relatively much safer than a crowded 'bloomer'.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.