from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal A nuclear submarine armed with ballistic missiles.
- n. Informal A baby boomer.
- n. A transient worker, especially in bridge construction.
- n. Australian A large, fully grown male kangaroo.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An adult male kangaroo.
- n. A baby boomer.
- n. A transient worker who would move from boom town to boom town in search of temporary work.
- n. A nuclear ballistic missile submarine, SSBN.
- n. The bittern.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, booms.
- n. A North American rodent, so named because it is said to make a booming noise. See Sewellel.
- n. A large male kangaroo.
- n. One who works up a “boom”.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Australia, a name of the male of a species of kangaroo.
- n. A name of the showt'l or mountain beaver, Haplodon rufus or Aplodontia leporina. See cut under Haplodon.
- n. One who booms; one who starts and keeps up an agitation in favor of any project or person; one who assists in the organization or furtherance of a boom.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the baby boom generation in the 1950s
Sorry, no etymologies found.