from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Insufficient production of thyroid hormones.
- n. A pathological condition resulting from severe thyroid insufficiency, which may lead to cretinism or myxedema.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The disease state caused by insufficient production of thyroid hormone by the thyroid gland.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pathological condition in which there is diminished activity of the thyroid gland.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an underactive thyroid gland; a glandular disorder resulting from insufficient production of thyroid hormones
Coined some time between 1900 and 1905 from the prefix "hypo-" (meaning "under), the word "thyroid," and the suffix "-ism" (meaning "a system of"). (Wiktionary)