American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A disease caused by the sporozoan Toxoplasma gondii, especially:
- n. A congenital disease characterized by lesions of the central nervous system that can cause blindness and brain damage.
- n. An acquired disease characterized by fever, swollen lymph nodes, and lesions in the liver, heart, lungs, and brain.
- n. infection caused by parasites transmitted to humans from infected cats; if contracted by a pregnant woman it can result in serious damage to the fetus
- Toxoplasma + -osis (Wiktionary)
“One way to prevent getting toxoplasmosis is to wash your hands frequently and to wash raw fruit and vegetables in a slight vinegar solution, both of which I do.”
“Cat waste carries a disease, toxoplasmosis, which is harmless to most people but can be deadly to anyone with a compromised immune system.”
“The disease caused by the parasite Toxoplasma gondii is called toxoplasmosis and has been linked to 'personality' changes in rats and mice.”
“The organism has long been known to cause toxoplasmosis, which is why pregnant women are told to stay away from litter boxes, and "in the early days of the AIDS epidemic, before good antiretroviral drugs were developed, it was to blame for the dementia that afflicted many patients.”
“But, you know, the thing that comes to mind that I think most people might be familiar with is toxoplasmosis, which is - it's not a virus, it's a protozoan, but you know how they say pregnant women shouldn't clean their litter boxes, they should get somebody else to do it, and that's because they can pick this up from the litter box.”
“Someone with a toxoplasma infection, called toxoplasmosis, is more than twice as likely to develop schizophrenia, according to Yolken.”
“T. gondii infection causes a disease called toxoplasmosis that produces mild flu-like symptoms and only really threatens foetuses and those with weak immune systems.”
“Some of these diseases, such as toxoplasmosis and bartonella, or cat scratch disease, can also infect humans.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘toxoplasmosis’.
Meow! Roar! My favorite animals! words about cats.
if you're a cat freak like i am - then this is the list for you
For double the fun, see also Congenital Conditions.
Looking for tweets for toxoplasmosis.