from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Loss of hair; baldness.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Baldness.
- n. Deficiency of the hair, may be caused by failure to grow or loss after growth.
- n. Loss of hair (especially on the head) or loss of wool or feathers, which either happens naturally or is caused by disease.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Loss of the hair; baldness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Baldness; loss of hair. Also written alopecy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. loss of hair (especially on the head) or loss of wool or feathers; in humans it can result from heredity or hormonal imbalance or certain diseases or drugs and treatments (chemotherapy for cancer)
The second condition is known as alopecia, a more inflammatory response.
At the age of ten, I began to suffer from an autoimmune skin condition called alopecia areata.
Villanueva suffers from an autoimmune skin condition called alopecia areata which affects over five million North Americans.
BAMBERGER: I have alopecia, which is an autoimmune idiopathic hair loss.
Hair loss - known as alopecia in the medical field - assumes different forms.
The particular hair-loss case of my friend's younger son is medically termed alopecia areata.
Let's get to another e-mail from Mike in New York, who wants to know, "Is there any hope for those who are afflicted with a condition known as alopecia areata?"
When she began losing her hair at age 10 because of a condition called alopecia areata, Martell didn't let her hair loss stand in the way of her dream.
Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure.
Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.