American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Anthropology Of or being a major human racial classification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as yellowish-brown skin pigmentation, straight black hair, dark eyes with pronounced epicanthic folds, and prominent cheekbones and including peoples indigenous to central and eastern Asia. See Usage Note at race1.
- adj. Characteristic of or resembling a Mongol.
- adj. Offensive Of or relating to Down syndrome.
- n. Anthropology A member of the Mongoloid racial classification.
- n. Offensive A person affected with Down syndrome.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as Mongolioid.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Resembling a Mongol or the Mongols; having race characteristics, such as color, hair, and features, like those of the Mongols.
- adj. Of, related to, or affected with, Down syndrome; -- not a technical term.
- n. A person affected with Down syndrome; -- not a technical term.
- n. a person suffering from Down syndrome (no longer used technically in this sense)
- adj. of or pertaining to or characteristic of one of the traditional racial division of humankind including especially peoples of central and eastern Asia
- n. a member of the Mongoloid race
- adj. of or relating to or suffering from Down syndrome
- adj. characteristic of or resembling a Mongol
“There are people who are just as ignorant and self-righteous trying to get the word Mongoloid for the Mongoloid race changed to something else because the West had been using the word Mongoloid for children born with a specific birth defect.”
“One of these children has Down's syndrome, and Precious calls him Mongo, short for "Mongoloid" - that discredited term Precious”
“And another thing alphacrucis, between you and me, what sort of Israeli are you that you feel so offended by the term "Mongoloid" - you said Israelis welcome people from ALL parts of the world to join their sick and iniquitous den?”
“Anyhoo, all three of these migrations were of what might be called the Mongoloid racial type, or more properly were all sinodonts, since the characteristics of the Mongoloid type were still in their incipient stage, but sinodonty (a dentition pattern characterized by the presence of shovel-shaped incisors*, which evolved in Central and primarily East Asia) was a trait held in common among all members of the pre-Mongoloid race then, and the Mongoloid race today.”
“She's "Mongoloid," to use the charming label on the old charts.”
“I understand that 1940s attitudes toward these "Mongoloid" children were far less enlightened and humane than they are now.”
“Mongoloid" was, you know, another category -- another one of those groups that they created.”
“a face called Mongoloid, because of a certain resemblance to that of some of the Mongolian races as will be noted above.”
“It depicted a male and female human, nude, of the variant she had heard called "Mongoloid," emerging from clouds wherein drifted hints of stars, like a galaxy a-borning.”
“Jocko Homo" spirited the crowd into a marketing dream come true vocal chant ( "We are Devo!"), and the punkish "Mongoloid" gave the hopping crowd a dizzying dancing beat.”
Looking for tweets for Mongoloid.