from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large North American bird (Meleagris gallopavo) that has brownish plumage and a bare wattled head and neck and is widely domesticated for food.
- n. A related bird (Agriocharis ocellata) of Mexico and Central America, brilliantly colored and having eyelike spots on its tail.
- n. Slang A person considered inept or undesirable.
- n. Slang A failure, especially a failed theatrical production or movie.
- n. Sports Three consecutive strikes in bowling.
- idiom talk turkey Informal To speak frankly and get down to the basic facts of a matter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Either of two species of bird in the genus Meleagris with fan-shaped tails and wattled necks.
- n. A failure.
- n. A foolish or inept person.
- n. An act of throwing three strikes in a row.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any large American gallinaceous bird belonging to the genus Meleagris, especially the North American wild turkey (Meleagris gallopavo), and the domestic turkey, which was probably derived from the Mexican wild turkey, but had been domesticated by the Indians long before the discovery of America.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bag containing a lumber-jack's outfit.
- n. An American gallinaceous bird of the genus Meleagris; any species of Meleagridæ. See the technical names.
- n. The second species of Meleagris is M. ocellata, the ocellated turkey of Honduras and some other parts of Central America. This is much smaller and more beautiful than the other; the plumage is intensely lustrous, and in part eyed with iridescent ocelli, recalling those of the peacock; the bare head is deep-blue, studded with caruncles of an orange color, and no dewlap is developed.
- n. With qualifying term, one of several different Australian birds which resemble or suggest the turkey. See phrases below.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an event that fails badly or is totally ineffectual
- n. large gallinaceous bird with fan-shaped tail; widely domesticated for food
- n. a Eurasian republic in Asia Minor and the Balkans; on the collapse of the Ottoman Empire in 1918, the Young Turks, led by Kemal Ataturk, established a republic in 1923
- n. flesh of large domesticated fowl usually roasted
- n. a person who does something thoughtless or annoying
After Turkey from a confusion with the guinea fowl, once believed to have originated in Turkish territory.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Turkey. The guinea fowl (Numida meleagris), native to Africa, was imported to Europe by turkey merchants. The larger northern American bird Meleagris gallopavo, thought to resemble the guinea fowl, was brought to Spain by conquistadors in 1523; from there it was introduced to northern Africa, at the time under Ottoman rule, and then via the Middle East back into Europe. (Wiktionary)