American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A male turkey.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who swallows in haste; a greedy eater; a gormandizer.
- n. A turkey-cock. Also called gobble-cock and turkey-gobbler.
- n. An automatic bucket the halves of which separate at the bottom when lowered and close when a strain is put upon the hoisting-chain, digging into the material to be loaded. When the strain is removed the weight of the load causes the bucket to open.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A turkey cock; a bubbling Jock.
- n. male turkey
- n. a hasty eater who swallows large mouthfuls
- gobble + -er (Wiktionary)
“I carry a hawk call, that can really light 'em up, and one morning in gobbler season there was a single Canada goose flying up the valley and calling, and a gobbler was answering it's calls, so I now carry a goose call as well.”
“Unless a gobbler is the absolute king of the woods he can be leery of other birds, and that includes your decoys.”
“Practice your wood craft, 80 percent of killing a gobbler is knowing the woods you hunt and moving and setting up carefully.”
“While turkey hunting on beaver island we heard and saw a nice gobbler from a distance.”
“It seems the whole woods shake when a gobbler is gobbling just yards away.”
“Calling in a gobbler is especially gratifying when you do it with a peg you've made.”
“FIRST STEP Once it's clear to both hunters that a gobbler is hung up, Hunter A stays putand tries to keep the bird gobbling occasionally — without calling it back in — byusing locator calls only.”
“Good luck trying to call a gobbler away from the Primos folks next spring.”
“I called a gobbler in to about 15 yds and let my arrow fly.”
“Half the fun of turkey hunting is calling a gobbler in, watching him strut and do his thing, and then tricking him into coming close enough to get a clean shot.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gobbler’.
birds with singular names from
at least 9 English dictionaries
Big-tent list of all things turkey, from the name of the country to colloquial phrases containing the term turkey. Anything turkey-related is welcome.
List words that sound ugly, regardless of meaning
If you say these words in my presence, I might harpoon you.
Looking for tweets for gobbler.