from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person regarded as stupid.
- n. Any of several tropical sea birds of the genus Sula, resembling and related to the gannets.
- n. Vulgar Slang A woman's breast.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A stupid person.
- n. Any of various large tropical seabirds from the genera Sula and Papasula in the gannet family Sulidae, traditionally considered to be stupid.
- n. a woman’s breast
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A dunce; a stupid fellow.
- n. A swimming bird (Sula fiber or Sula sula) related to the common gannet, and found in the West Indies, nesting on the bare rocks. It is so called on account of its apparent stupidity -- unafraid of men, it allows itself to be caught by a simple and undisguised approach. The name is also sometimes applied to other species of gannets; as, Sula piscator, the red-footed booby; and Sula nebouxii, the blue-footed booby.
- n. A species of penguin of the antarctic seas.
- adj. Having the characteristics of a booby; stupid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A stupid fellow; a dull or foolish person; a lubber.
- n. The pupil at the foot of a class; the dunce of the class or of the school.
- n. In progressive euchre, the player who has failed most conspicuously in the game.
- n. The name of various species of brown and white gannets, birds of the family Sulidœ, genus Sula.
- n. In New England, a hack on runners; a sleigh kept for hire.
- Of or pertaining to a booby or boobies; foolish; stupid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small tropical gannet having a bright bill or bright feet or both
- n. an ignorant or foolish person
Probably Spanish bobo, from Latin balbus, stammering.
Perhaps alteration of obsolete English bubby.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
17th Century. Spanish bobo, from Latin balbus ("stammering"). (Wiktionary)
Variant of the earlier bubby. The shortened term boob is a further development from this. (Wiktionary)