from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small nipplelike projection, such as a protuberance on the skin, at the root of a hair or feather, or at the base of a developing tooth.
- n. One of the small, round or cone-shaped protuberances on the top of the tongue that contain taste buds.
- n. A pimple or pustule.
- n. Botany A minute projection on the surface of a stigma, petal, or leaf.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A nipple-like anatomical structure.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any minute nipplelike projection.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pap, teat, or nipple of a mammary gland; a mammilla.
- n. Hence Something like a papilla; a papilliform part or process.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (botany) a tiny outgrowth on the surface of a petal or leaf
- n. a small projection of tissue at the base of a hair or tooth or feather
- n. a small nipple-shaped protuberance concerned with taste, touch, or smell
Latin, nipple, diminutive of papula, swelling, pimple.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin papilla ("nipple"). (Wiktionary)